Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Canyon plunge


Yesterday we left Yellowstone National Park after a being there for a week. I can't even begin to tell you how amazing that place is. We visited every major attraction the Park has to offer, yet we feel we've barely scratched the surface. One of the Park Rangers informed us that we really have only scene about 1/5 of the Park. There are about 1,000 miles of trails that cover the Park. Some of the trails are so dangerous the Rangers will not issue permits for them because of the rising bear population.

Anyway, yesterday we visited Fire hole canyon not far from West Yellowstone. The canyon is breathtaking. Fire hole river, a river that is geo-thermally warmed, cuts through the canyon like a knife. The cut outs are deep and treacherous. Not much wildlife to speak of since much of it is uninhabitable. Actually, we did see a Mule Deer Doe.

In any case, a little ways up the road before the river enters the deeper part of the canyon is one of Yellowstone's unadvertised specials. A place called Fire hole Canyon swimming hole. I got to experience it for myself yesterday. It's actually kind of a dangerous place to swim. In fact, we made our first attempt to swim in the canyon a week earlier but it was closed due to a technical rescue that was going on. Apparently someone jumped off of one of the cliffs and had a pretty ugly landing on a submerged rock.

When I first laid eyes on the swimming hole I knew I had to jump in. It's kinda hard to keep me away from a good swimming hole. So I grabbed my goggles and jumped in to scan the bottom of the river. It didn't take me long to spot some bull trout. In fact, I had a couple of them right under my feet and right in front of my nose. Nice 12" inchers too! Of course I savagely tried to grab them but had no success.

But the highlight of the day was swimming through the "chute." The chute is a narrow passage along high canyon walls through rushing waters. You have to do a walk around on some slippery rocks to get there. But the plunge is pretty incredible. Swimming through chute was so awesome I want to do it again. And if ever in Yellowstone, I will not miss spending a day in the Canyon. Incidently, we fly fished the river not far from swimming hole hoping to latch on to one of those trout. We didn't have much luck there, apart from seeing a few jump. Although, we did in fact watch a doe Elk come down to the river and keep us company for a while. How cool is that?

As I thought about my plunge into the Canyon, I thought about how many times I've nervously attempted something new in my life. Life is a series of firsts. It's about taking a risks and stepping out in faith. Just like swimming through the chute. I've never done it before, I'm a little uneasy about it. I wonder if the current is too swift? Will it push me into the rock wall? Countless others have turned away. All these thoughts run through your mind. But like doing anything for the first time, it involves a bold a step of faith.

That's kinda where I'm at these days, I'm seeing life as one big step of faith. A series of firsts. God is always moving us in a new direction. He's always setting us up for something else. With Him there is always more. Nothing is the same. He pushes us to the limit. That's where I'm at in my walk with God. I'm pushed to the limit. And I have no choice but to hold on as I leap into the unknown.

Have you ever felt that way? Pushed beyond limitations into a previously unknown place? If so, we have a lot in common. And maybe we're all closer than we think to what God has in store for us. Have a story? I would love to hear it: bob@plungefaith.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

Wow, that's a pretty sweet swimming hole. We keep saying Yellowstone is going to be one of our first GREAT family vacations when the youngest hits the 7 or 8 mark!