Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Operation Fish rescue


Last week, my family and I camped in Cougar, WA on Yale resivoir. We took a hike along cougar creek, known best for it's pristine spawning grounds. As we walked the narrowing creek bed, we came to a fork that was nearly dried up from low water levels that are expected this time of year. A closer look revealed Salmon smolt trapped in this small puddle of water; soon to dry up. Along with the smolt were nymphs and a couple walleye finglerlings. To put it mildly this small puddle of water was crawling with life. But very soon this life would suffer the invetible-death. As the hot dry days of summer wear on, portions of the river dry up leaving behind a parched river bed that awaits the return of rain in the Fall. My kids immediately took up the cause of rescuing the Salmon smolt. So we emptied our water bottle and began trapping fish. And one by one, we rescued all nine. Each were transplanted to the flowing part of the creek where once again they would have a chance at life.


As I thought about rescuing the fish, I began to think about how Jesus rescues us. Jesus said, in Luke 19:10 "The Son of man came to seek and save the lost." So when you think about it, you and I are being sought out and rescued by someone who loves us. And that someone is Jesus. He does for us what we did for those fish in Cougar creek. He rescues. And without him coming to rescue us we would die an inevitable death.


Rescuing the fish was a rewarding experience. After we rescued the fish I began talking to my kids about how Jesus rescues us. I shared with them Luke 19:10. And I think we all walked away with a deeper appreciation of who Jesus is and what he came to do.

No comments: