Saturday, December 13, 2008

What you can learn from a Rottweiler



For quite some time now I have had two Akita dogs. They are an inseparable brother -sister pair who were literally rescued from the wilderness in Northern Idaho. About 10 months ago, I was given a 5 month old female Rottweiler puppy. The puppy came from a very bad home and was not house trained. We reluctantly took her in and began training her. I was concerned whether or not the Akitas would accept her. Akitas tend to be very pack oriented and only accept their own. Nonetheless, we assimilated the Rottweiler into our home. Before long the Akitas accepted her into the pack. They made it very clear to her that she was in, but not one of them. From there the Rottweiler began to establish her own identity. She did not try to become an Akita. I made a bed for her in the corner of our living room where she resides. She found activities that were unique to her. Like swimming, fetch and keep away. Even when the Akitas sneer at her, she shrugs it off and goes about her business. She has never harbored any resentment or sought to retaliate. In my mind, she is the perfect picture of a well-balanced secure dog. She realizes that she is a Rottweiler not an Akita and nothing holds her back. She is who she is, no apologies, no regrets. In a manner of speaking she has differentiated herself by cultivating her own sense of identity and strength. She is a rival to no one. In off leash parks, she socializes well and stays within the sound of my voice. She shares her bones and respects the boundaries of the Akitas. I am impressed with her sense of confidence and security. In fact, she is an inspiration to watch. She is clearly a misfit in our pack, but what a wonderful blessing she has become! Whenever I am tempted to just go along with the rest of the pack, I think of our Rottweiler, Lulu. She reminds me that it is okay to be yourself. She inspires me to be who God created me to be.

2 comments:

Chris said...

something about dogs dude...they're here to teach us!
;-)

Mountaineer Man Jerry said...

Perhaps the church has started following the pack or whatever makes us "less" iritable to the world. Perhaps we should be who God called us to be - the lesson of the Rottweiler. Good thoughts - I keep reflecting.